Monday 14 May 2012

Myself

Tonight, I got punched in the face on the way home by some obviously drunk guy.

I already had a broken nose, him hitting it hurt like hell.

In retaliation, I didn't hit him back. He was upset and drunk, and that isn't a good combination. Instead, I listened to him. He said he'd just had to take his daughter off a life support machine and that she had died.

Then he hugged me. This guy, who had just punched me, was now giving me a hug. I felt pity for the poor man, so I hugged him back. And he apologised, several times actually, and it was obvious that he meant it too. He then wandered off, back into the night, and I gave him my best wishes, because that is the kind of person that I am.

In his state, a few well placed strikes would have had him on the floor. I know that. I also know that he was far too drunk and sluggish to really do anything back to me, even if he got back up.

But violence will not solve your problems. It only besets more strife. I do one day hope to live in a world, where people spread love and tolerance for their fellow human. I don't mean it in a hippie way, but in a way that peoples first reaction to others isn't hate and anger.

That is why I love cheerleading so much. A friend told me about football earlier, about how a team that had just lost, cheered because the team they had lost to didn't win overall anyway. I find that disgusting. In cheerleading, it doesn't matter which squad you're on, they all cheer for you. Even the people you compete against will cheer and clap. What other sport can you find that in?

At the end of the day, it all comes down to respect. If you can respect a fellow human for what they are, you don't have to like them, but mutual respect will turn animosity into rivalry, which is far more productive overall.

Its time to think about your actions people. Spread the love! <3

Kex

No comments:

Post a Comment